If you are a Nigerian who is looking for how to study abroad, I’m very glad to put a wonderful smile on your face as your dream is about to come through. Invitation for applications from qualified Nigerian candidates for the ongoing Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Awards for Nigerians to study abroad has been opened by the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Education. These Scholarships are available for Nigerian candidates to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies abroad.
The Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Division of the Federal Scholarship Board (FSB) is primarily obliged with the responsibility of implementing scholarship Awards between the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Governments of the different Countries that have signed the Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) with Nigeria.
The aim of the Federal Ministry of Education is to foster the development of all Nigerian Citizens to their full potentials with the use of education in the promotion of a strong, democratic, egalitarian, prosperous, and indivisible nation.
In order to achieve this they are offering the BEA scholarships to individuals who have met the required criteria to go and continue their studies outside the country.
The federal government of Nigeria sets aside N73,169,907 for the award of scholarships to 3,700 students in Nigerian universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education in 2018, this information is according to punchng.com.
The correspondent, who obtained this data from a breakdown of the Federal Ministry of Education’s 2018 budget, learned that another set of 272 students will be awarded scholarships to study in foreign countries that have the Bilateral Education Agreement with Nigeria.
The awarding and conducting of fresh 272 scholarships to Nigerians to study in countries abroad that have a Bilateral Education Agreement with Nigeria was put at N13,000,000.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria:
The following criteria must be met for candidates to apply for the scholarship;
Undergraduate Scholarships Program:
- All applicants for undergraduate degree courses must possess a minimum qualification of Five (5) Distinctions (As & Bs) in the Senior Secondary School Certificates, WAEC (May/June) only in the subjects relevant to their fields of study including English Language and Mathematics.
- Certificates should not be more than two (2) years old.
- For African countries, the age of the certificate is one year only.
- The age limit is from 18 to 20 years.
Postgraduate scholarship program:
- All applicants for postgraduate degree courses must hold a First Class (1st Degree with at least 2nd Class Upper Division.)
- The applicants who are previous recipients of Foreign Awards must have completed at least two (2) years post qualification or employment practice in Nigeria.
- All applicants must have completed N.Y.S.C. Age limit is 35 years for Masters and 40 years for Ph.D. and only:
- N.Y.S.C discharge or exemption certificates only are accepted;
- Evidence of readiness to be released by the employer.
The BEA awards scholarship is open to Nigerian citizens only or international students residing in the country.
Please take note that,
- Since the BEA countries are non-English speaking, applicants should be prepared to undertake a mandatory one-year foreign Language course of the country of choice which will be the standard medium of instruction.
- Japan applicants must have a very strong background in further mathematics.
- The required certificates for candidates applying for Iman Preachers and Quranic Professor for Islamic Religious studies in Algeria is WAEC as in other scholarship awards.
- All applicants for the Hungarian Scholarship can apply for up to two fields of study in order of preference; and all applicants for Hungarian Scholarships must visit the website: www.stipendiumhungaricum.hu
- Complete the application form online, print the completed form and bring it to the interview venue.
Fields of Study:
These Scholarships are awarded for the following fields of study:
- Environmental Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Medicine (very limited)
(Masters Degree and Ph.D.) in all fields listed above.
The bilateral scholarship is to be taken Abroad in any of the countries listed below:
- Undergraduate studies are tenable in Russia, Morocco, Algeria, Serbia, Hungary, Egypt, Turkey, Cuba, Romania, Ukraine, Japan, Macedonia; and
- Postgraduate studies are tenable in Russia (for those whose first degrees were obtained from Russia), China, Hungary, Serbia, Turkey, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, etc).
Those who wish to apply for this BEA award scholarship should submit two sets of completed application forms at the various JAMB computer based test (CBT) centers with the following attachments:
- Two sets of Photocopies of Educational Certificates and Testimonials of previous schools attended with the originals for sighting.
- Only one certificate is accepted i.e WAEC of May/June for Undergraduate applicants;
- Two copies of Birth Certificate from National Population Commission;
- State of origin/LGA certificate duly signed, stamped and dated;
- Four (4) colored passport sized photographs on a white background; and
- Postgraduate applicants will be required to submit Academic transcripts and
- NYSC discharge or Exemption certificates only.
All eligible applicants are to report for an interview at the venues scheduled for accreditation a day to the date scheduled for the examination.
Candidates nominated by the Board will be required to submit to the Federal
Scholarship Board the following:
- Authenticated copies of academic certificates;
- Data page of the current International passport; and
- Specified Medical Reports from Government hospitals
The application closes January every year.