The British Institute in Eastern Africa (BIEA) invites applications for their small Thematic Research Grants annually. These funds are usually dispersed through two different calls for applications every year, which is usually released in the months of June/July and December.
Submission of applications end on: 20th December 2019.
Countries eligible for application and participation: UK and Eastern African countries.
Brief exposition of the Award: The British Institute in Eastern Africa on yearly basis invites applications for funding for research projects that engage with one or more of the following all topical collection areas:
- Citizens and Science in Eastern Africa
- Migrations and Mobilities
- Everyday States
- Land, Heritage ad Memory
- Spending Time
Type of program: Grants
Eligibility for application:
- BIEA research funding is made available to support original research within these topical collection areas in any discipline or field in the humanities and social sciences across the eligible regions mentioned earlier.
- The BIEA’s collection of topic grant scheme particular, seeks to assist researchers who have limited access to other sources of funds. By so doing, the BIEA is determined to nurture/train early career researchers and scholars in eastern part of Africa, and is keen to fund small projects that lay the ground for larger projects. Such researchers may include postgraduate students in institutions of learning located in eastern African or the UK, or people who have not followed conventional research careers but whose local knowledge or contacts make them fit in to the conduct of quality research.
- This funding supports original research in the humanities and social sciences, and the team particularly encourage applications from the wider region of eastern African, which has been define as stretching from Sudan, to Mozambique, and including Madagascar. ‘
- Priority is given exclusively to researchers based in the UK or eastern parts of Africa.
Number of Awards: Limited (this means that applicants must put in their best practices to ensure success)
Value or worth of Award: British Institute in Eastern Africa Thematic Research Grants are normally between the amount ranging between £500 and £1,000; in exceptional situations, up to £1,500 may be awarded. The grant is geared towards contributing towards actual research costs and does not include: institutional overheads, equipment, and applicant’s stipend or costs of publication.
How to Apply:
- All applications and references are be submitted by email to email@example.com on or befor 20th of December 2019.
- Late applications will not be considered. Please Complete the Application Form (downloadable here).